Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I dread tomorrow morning, afternoon, evening...

Good day to all of my (silently counting in his head) four readers! :)

I'm back, after a slow karate summer. Thanks to many other family activities, and sort of a lack of will, I took it easy on my karate training this Summer. Among other things, I have put on a few pounds, pounds that I will hopefully be able to shed in the next few weeks as I resume my training toward this coveted black belt.

If you've read some posts in here, you already know that my son Andrew's commitment to two other sports, namely football and soccer, kind of forced me to try and catch an hour here and there, sometimes doing three in a week, at other times, going a couple weeks without a class. Yeah, I could have practiced harder by myself, but after a pretty intense spring season, I felt like taking it easy and I mean, I never stopped completely. At least not until the last couple of weeks, after our annual subscription ran out. I then decided that we would indeed sign up for another full year, but only starting during the week of the labord day Monday because Andrew had his last soccer game on that day. Well, that day has come and gone and tonight will be my session back.

Yeah, I dread waking up tomorrow morning and taking that first walk out of bed... In a good way though. :) I need to sweat a bit, work those muscles, get back in the karate groove...

No confirmed date for it, but the first competition of our group of schools (Studios Unis d'Auto-Défense) is usually in early October, so this could be coming quite fast. Andrew has been competing for quite a few years now, but he's never done any of the Fall competitions. In the past he would always start competing in a season after Christmas. Me, I only started last February, so no need to say I've also never done one this early in a season. There are 6 local competitions in the season, culminating with the prestigious Quebec Open. I intend for us to do as many as we can, at least 5, maybe all 6 of them. The Lévis one in February and the Quebec Open are two that I want us to go to for sure.

Many things will have to be worked on in the coming weeks, months, (heck years!), on top of my overal fitness. In the last few weeks of Summer, I felt less and less at ease with most of my kata, especially the last two, Cat 1 and Cat 2. This was possibly from a lack of practice so I'd expect this to come back on its own. I also know that all my self-defense techniques against club attacks need work. I need to work closer to my attacker with those. Can't wait to pick up my bo again and seriously with it. I did some work with it in the backyard (will even have a video of Matthew, our 2.5 year old martial artists to show you) but it seemed like weather was never good enough to work on my competition form. It was always either too windy, or too hot, or rainy, or... Also needed will be some work on the one tradition bo form needed for the black belt, Sushi no kon sho. And on top of it all, become more fluid on most my movements. And to top it all, the main reason why I started this blog in the first place, I need to work on my horse stance.... sigh...

Darn it, there's still a lot of work left. It's true when they say it's a journey...

FM

5 comments:

Mathieu said...

A long, hard, tough, straining, demanding and excruciating one.

but also, a rewarding one. A very rewarding one.

Cheers dude, I hear you loud and clear, the last two weeks - holidays - I've been out of it. Totally. I even missed the start of classes. And when I got back to classes, ugh, it was too easy.

haha, gotta love karate. hope this new year sees a hard-working Steve, and mini-Steve.

Some bruises, lots of sweat, lots of knowledge, lots of improvement, lots of downfalls lots of wins, lots of losses. A good year all in all.

Cheers!

FrogMan said...

Mat, my friend, you almost got me worried. Your absence from this blog world didn't go unnoticed. Glad to have you back around :)

Funny you should call Andrew mini-Steve, it's a nickname we've given him quite a few times. Apparently, some people can't stop telling us that we look just the same. I don't see it (nah, I see it quite well thank you ;) )

And yup, bruises, sweat, sweat, sweat and lots more sweat and muscle aches. But darn it, we love it :)

Take care, Steve.

Mathieu said...

Still around.

and kicking. I love that joke. :)

And yeah, mini-Steve. It fits!
Lost my mojo, though. Later

Mir said...

Welcome back to the blogging world! I've missed you.

I know that there is alot of work to do, but don't let any sore muscles stop you, heaven knows that you have enough trouble finding the time to train.

I love working with my Bo staff too.. but I'm still at the simple movements. Slow going for me, but I've been told that slow cooking makes better results.

:-)

FrogMan said...

Mireille, time is easier to find in the Fall and Winter seasons. No soccer or Football to deal with, I can now easily find almost 6 hours a week to train, sometimes with Andrew, sometimes without, sometimes in formal classes, sometimes on my own at the dojo.

Simple movements are often the best with the bo, especially when sticking to more traditional stuff. Keep working on it, you'll get the hang of it.

Take care, Steve