Thursday, September 07, 2006

Never too young to start, kind of...

I said I didn't practice much with my bo last Summer, but I still got it out a few times. One of these times, what was my surprise to see this little thing come out of the back door and walk toward me. 30 months old and ready to rule the world with his bo, ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to (drum roll please....)

Matty the Terror!!!

(click it, it should open in a new window. I tried to embed but failed miserably yet still wanted to share it with the world, without putting kiddo on youtube ;) )

Sorry for all the giggling, that's mommy being oh so proud of her little boy. He actually surprised me. He actually looks like he almost knows what he's doing. One thing's for sure, he's much, much better at it his first time than I was my firt few times trying to spin it :)


As I said, he's only 2 and a half years old and we will not start him up before he's at least four, in one of the initiation class or our school that is only 45 minutes long and sometimes more play than actual martial arts. Andrew started in that kind of class when he was two months shy of being 5 years old. Matty, like most little brothers, sometimes says he will do everything his big brother does (I will play soccer and football and do karate), and at some other times, none of the things his brother does (no, no, no, I don't wanna). I'm hopeful that he will follow our path. We'll see...

FM

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is too cute! He's really very good already! Look out!

MrX said...

Cool video!

Imagine what he's going to be able to do in 4-5 years (if he follows the path of the martial way).

frotoe said...

Wow! he's adorable- and much more comfortable with the bo than I am!

FrogMan said...

mrx
thanks. I'm honestly looking forward to him starting karate and will strongly suggest, not force him, but suggest that he takes some class. Will have to see when he feels ready. Many little things are different now compared to what things were when Andrew started, mainly the fact that I might be a black belt by the time Matty is old enough to start. When Andrew started, I had never, ever done any kind of martial arts. I first learned from Andrew, not the other way around. To be able to see Matty grow with it would be awesome. And I also like to teach, show, give what I have to others, especially my kids...

frotoe
thanks to you too. Not sure you could understand the French giggling from the mommy, but yeah, she also felt he was adorable ;) Keep working that bo, you'll get better I'm sure.

Steve.

frotoe said...

You know- I actually did understand some of the french giggling- my husband is from Montreal and I've gotten pretty good at understanding the Quebec/French language from listening to him talk with his friends.

FrogMan said...

frotoe, Montreal huh? small world :) Still 2.5 hours from me, but pretty darn close :)

Maybe someday you could take the hike up to Quebec City and come compete in the Quebec Open, who knows :)

Take care, Steve.

Mathieu said...

I'm not getting anywhere near that guy. Not within a 2m range anyways. He might hurt me, if only by accident. :)

hehe.

Take care

FrogMan said...

Mathieu
you're safe for a little while though, his bo is only 4 1/2 feet long :)

Be sure of one thing though, he's got a real swing and if he did hurt you, I'm not so sure it would be by accident :)

Steve.

Mir said...

He had the courage to go attack the bug with his Bo staff.. way to go little Karate-ka. I, too, would feel safer with a 4 foot staff between me and any creepy crawly bug.

Alot of future potential in him! Looking forwards to more videos.