Monday, September 11, 2006

Saturday sushi

Was my first Saturday session back and I was kind of looking forward to it. As I said, I'm a bit out of shape, or should I say, not as in shape as I was maybe 3 months ago. Our Saturday morning instructor is a very intense 57 years young 4th dan who just loves to make us sweat and by seeing how many students come to his classes, I'd say there's a need for this kind of classes among the members of our school.

Anyway, after a solid cardio warmup that included among other things some pop corn jumps, we went through our KC's, from #1 to #20. A good back to basics quick session that I felt was very productive.

Once that was done, we broke down into small groups and three of us who passed our 3rd kyu together back in December got to work on Sushi no kon sho, the traditional bo kata that is required to test for the black belt. I'd never done it to the end, often doing bits and pieces of it but right from the start this week, I had the feeling we could probably do it all. Not that it was fluid of anything, but we still got to do the first section our instructor showed us, maybe 2/3 of the kata, without really having to ask for his help. He then showed us the last third and we were able to redo it by ourselves. I will probably need a lot of practice with it before it looks nice and everything, and I might not even be able to do it again right this moment if you asked me to, but it felt good to have been able to do it from start to finish.

Since we had about 10 minutes left in the class, all of us three decided to move aside and work on our most advanced self defence techniques, the last group of 12 out of 36. All three of us did quite well with these and we were able to run them in a little under 10 minutes with little goofups.

Andrew had to skip his coming back to training this week. He was supposed to start again on Friday evening and come with me on Saturday morning, as we've done for a few years now, but I first cancelled Friday when, after picking him up from school we got home and he had some solid fever, some 39C. He still had glazy eyes on Saturday morning so I decided to have him skip that session too. He will make them up at some point this Fall. He was even supposed to have a two game soccer tourney on Saturday. We had made the decison to also keep him out of that, given that the weather was very rainy and very cold, but they ended cancelling the whole thing.

With his soccer season officially over, I have my Monday evenings free again so I will switch my karate schedule to Mondays for the second hour of the week, in addition to my traditional Saturday morning hour. Open bo classes should start soon, maybe in a couple of weeks or less, and these will be on Saturday afternoon, only an hour after the end of our traditional class. This means we'll have to bring sandwiches to the the Dojo and eat there, me and my boy.

FM

4 comments:

Mathieu said...

It's good that you have the opportunity to be flexible with that schedule.

I sometimes wish I had more choices for training. ha, maybe in a few years....

Hard training is always great. You get out of there feeling great. Love that.

cheers

FrogMan said...

I like the flexible schedule too. There are about 4 hours in the week that I could go to, with two more that are primarily intermediate classes, but that I wouldn't get kicked out of if I really needed to swictch my schedule around.

The Saturday morning one is a must though. One because Andrew and I can go at the same time, and two because we do get a great workout out of that one hour in the week, and I need that :)

Steve.

Mir said...

Be careful about eating before training. I've had the nasty experience with that, so now I only eat AFTER I train.

FrogMan said...

well, as you've probably read in a later post, we only eat a sandwich. Also, our first class is from 11:15 to 12:15 and our second class, the bo one, goes from 13:15 to 14:15, so eating after it would be very rough.

The neat thing is the order of the classes. The bo class, while it can be demanding at times, is not really a traditional class. We don't warm up in it with pushups, situps and jumping jacks like usual class. We warm our wrists, stretch on our own and we start, so less ways for me to regret that one little sandwich.

Take care, Steve.