Thursday, September 21, 2006

Three section staff kata and more

I recently commented about my fear of the three section staff but only remembered today that a blogger I read regularly had just recently posted a kata with that weapon.

His name is Clint Leeung. He is from Montreal and from his profile, has been studying and training in martial arts for over 32 years. He has been competing at a very high level for many years, especially is such highly regarded circuits like the NASKA circuit, the NBL circuit, and the WSKF circuit.

He has title his kata a "kung fu three section staff kata" and I sense a bit of chinese (wushu?) influence in this one. Let's take a look at it:



After watching it, I sense that this kind of weapon has a couple of use. First it could definitely be useful to keep an attacker at bay, as you can swing it with a lot of amplitude. But then, you can also use it in short distance, because of the sectional side of it. Kind of interesting, if still a bit scary weapon to me, :)

He's also posted a video of his bo staff kata, with which I understood he did most of his competing in the last year:


I like it very, very much, but I'm biased toward the bo. It's got some spin, some strikes, very good strikes and speed. It's almost a shame we can't hear him kiai though. I like feeling the power in a bo staff kata.

Clint has posted some comments he has received about his two kata on his blog. You can read them here. I agree with what he says, now that I've read the comments. I honestly don't feel good enough with my technique to be any kind of critique to one of his kata...

Anyway, I doubt I'll ever get to his level, but he gives me something to look up to. And he scores bonus points for training with these forms inside his house...

FM

5 comments:

Mathieu said...

Sorry if it shows two times, I wasn't sure.....


Reminds me of something I read :
an article By Paul MacKenzie and Marc Bolduc of Chito-Ryu Montréal

TOP TEN SIGNS THAT KARATE HAS TAKEN OVER YOUR LIFE
10. When you climb stairs, at every fourth step you add a kiai.
9. Every wall you walk past becomes a makiwari.
8. You turn on and off all lights with your feet.
7. If you make a mistake at work, you start doing push-ups.
6. You step on broken glass with your bare feet... and don't notice.
5. You are very happy to discover that you have fewer bruises than fingers.
4. From indoor weapons training, you have broken at least 3 light bulbs, 8 dinner plates, the
microwave, a coffee table, the entrance light fixture and the television, as well as having
terrorized the neighbour’s cat.

3. When waiting at a red light, you shout "hajime!" when the light turns green.
2. One of your fondest memories is being thrown to the ground in searing pain in a karate
demonstration.
1. You have more gi's than shirts in your closet.


Hehe.

Very impressive kata's! Hope I make it one day to that level!

MrX said...

One word comes to my mind...

WICKED!!!

Thanks you for sharing!

Mir said...

He must have a very big house to train in, or perhaps a personal dojo like a couple of friends of mine because his kata sure demands alot of spinning, and space!

Thanks for sharing that!

FrogMan said...

Mireille, from his blog:
"I put in multiple dents in the ceiling with various techniques whether it's with a karate bo or Chinese staff."

so I assume he is training in a regular sized house. That's just insane to me. I don't even practice my traditional bo kata inside the house, and that one has no spins at all...

take care, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Grеetіngs from Los аngeles!
I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you provide here and can't wait to takе a lоoκ when I
get hοme. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm
not even usіng WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, excellеnt blog!


Here іs my web site: аltın fiуatı (altinfiyatlari.me)