Friday, July 28, 2006

against a knife...

As I said in yesterday's post, we worked on some self-defense against a knife attack. Everytime we do work against knife attacks, I see as some bonus as it's not in the curriculum of our style below the black belt level. But it's always interesting.

The particular attack we worked against yesterday was the shifty kind. Imagine an attacker walking toward you, kind of looking like nothing is gonna happen then he puts his left hand on your right shoulder and tries to quickly stab you at the stomach level. As an attacker, we all tried to play the part, not to show our hand before the strike. One thing our instructor was quick to point out is how fast the downward block from our left hand must come out in order to deflect the knife to the left of our body, or else, we're in for some damage.

The practice knife with which we worked yesterday was a wooden knife, not the rubbery one we often use and which would bend at the end. Because of its wooden nature, I could feel it when it touched me and was reminded that I had to block even faster.

This morning when I woke up, I was reminded again when I saw a couple of tiny bruises on my belly. I a real street fight, these would have been bad cuts...

Block faster, remember that next time...

FM

8 comments:

Mir said...

I think that speed will increase with the amount of practice that you get in this skill. Give yourself the time, repetition, and experience to become faster.

Hopefully, in the street, there will never be anyone THAT close to you with a knife especially if you stay out of dark alleys, and dangerous places.

"Best Block: No be there."

FrogMan said...

I agree. I hope to never have to use a self-defense technique against a knife, honestly.

And then, there's also another technique I might use before this attacker would ever get close and that's one of the reason why we do so much cardio work at the beginning of every class: RUN!!!! ;)

Thanks for your comments.
Steve.

Mathieu said...

Hopefully indeed, no one will get close enough.

I have to wonder how many thughs will use a knife? I probably wouldn't. Had I to rob someone, I'd go with a gun or something like that. Less risk. :)

We did train a bit against a knife, but I imagine it's nowhere as close as what you guys must be doing. Because I kind of felt like I was learning to defend against something that will never happen.

Glad you enjoyed it and that you're back in the saddle!

Anonymous said...

Learning how to defend against a knife attack is tricky self-defense. You have to be aware of EVERYTHING. You'll get better. I spent a lot of time learning how to defend against them when I was pregnant. After all the press about knife attacks on pregnant women I wanted to be prepared. It's a good skill to have.

Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

A knife attack is a scarey thing. If you don't deflect it or block it, you can bleed out pretty quick. Even if you don't bleed out, the quick loss of blood can send you into shock and you will be useless against an attacker then. We did a drill in the police academy where the "officer" had to draw his weapon and shoot (fake guns, we just said BANG) the "attacker" before he stabbed him. Even at 15 feet, most people could not get their gun out quick enough. It was a staggering thing to think about.

Miss Chris said...

Hi! I just found your blog and thinks it's very interesting. I'll definitely visit again.

Anonymous said...

Where are you Frogman? I'm getting worried about you!

FrogMan said...

hahaha, don't worry mama, I'm still alive and well. We start training again this week after taking a couple weeks completely off due to the end of our annual subscription/contract/membership (whatever you could call it).

Since Andrew's last soccer game of the season was tonight, I booked us to start no earlier than September 6, this Wednesday. So hopefully some updates should come here at one point :)

I do read your blog quite often, especially enjoy the little non-karate breaks that are the Rockstar reviews. Good job on those!

Later, Steve.