Tuesday, May 30, 2006

You know you had a good workout...

...when two days later you're sore as all heck simply sitting down and up from the TOILET SEAT :D

Seriously, that's how I felt yesterday. I didn't realize at the time but doing the squats and lunges again in the second hour on Saturday morning really asked that tiny bit more from my muscles that I needed to really work them out. I tell you, my buttocks were screaming everytime I sat down yesterday, especially on the toilet seat and my thighs yelled at me everytime I got up. :D

The good news is that the calf is fine. We even worked them out a bit in each hour of class. You should try this exercise at home too. Assume a good low horse stance first. Then, without your head, or your hips for that matter, going up or doing, lift your heels from the floor so you stand on your tiptoes. Do that a good 25 times, then rest your feet flat on the floor, assuming back the horse stance, and do 25 squats slowly from that position. That was one part of the Saturday morning workout...

Meanwhile, we got some good news in disguise yesterday night after Andrew's soccer game. His coach was unable to find a soccer field that was available for a practice on Wednesday so they won't practice this Wednesday. This means we'll both go to karate class, me at the dojo and Andrew at his usual Wednesday night class at his daytime school. I'll still do two hours on Saturday, as I am a couple of hours behind after missing some classes in the last month. This, coupled to the fact that his soccer coach scheduled the practice for Saturday afternoon does mean that Andrew will miss one practice as he has a football game on that day.

For those who care, they lost 3-4 yesterday but they played very well, especially Andrew. I know, every dad says that about his boy, but I really believe it. It's nice to see how he has matured as whole. I had seen it in his karate, especially in competitions, but I can see it clearly in his soccer playing. He was an 8yo kiddo playing with in the U9 category last year, one of only 3 on a team of 13. I'm not afraid to say it but at times, it made me nervous to see him out on the field, as he looked shaky in the middle of some kids who were clearly more advanced than he was. Also, he plays defense, actually likes playing defense, but when you're a defenseman, if you goof up, you put your keeper at risk. I'm happy to say that this season, it's all the opposite. When I see my Drew step on the field, I feel confident that our defensive zone is safe. He's not perfect and yes he will make mistakes and blunders, but he's more often than not a solid kiddo in the middle of the action whereas last season, he had a tendency to go into "spectator mode" once he had been passed by an opposing forward. This year, the second effort is there and he keeps running to get back to the action as soon as he can. I like that and I make sure to point it out to him once the game is over, so he knows his daddy is proud of him...

I was especially proud when I heard two dads talking to each other and one said to the other something along the lines of "wow, that #8 is pretty solid on defense, not much gets past him". You guessed it, Andrew wears #8. :)

FM

6 comments:

Mir said...

Oh I've been there! Good for you.. this is a great indication that you are giving all you've got into your training.

I'm glad to read about your son's performance. What a great athlete he is becoming.

Also happy to hear about your calf doing better.. that's good news all around.

Thanks for sharing all that.

FrogMan said...

Even though I'll rant every now and again about how I need to repeat stuff to Andrew, he has changed a lot in the last year. I've posted about how the level of his karate has been upped quite a few notches but we can see it in many aspects of his personality.

He had his first football practice yesterday although I couldn't see much of it as I had to bring Matty with me (because me wife got stuck with some extra work to do and got home late) and we ended up playing on the side more than actually watching ;) Andrew said he liked it, had great fun in some of the drills, the tackling one especially :)

Matty also had great fun tackling the big cushiony padding and on top of it, he was a doll, very cooperative despite not taking a big nap in the afternoon (per what the daycare lady had told me) and the temperature being cold and windy and him being quite past his usual bedtime. All in all, it was a nice evening...

FM

Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

Oh man am I gonna hate you in the morning... I just tried that tiny little bit from your exercise. The horse stance stuff... good Lord Almighty does that burn or what! I think I may wait a bit and do them again though! I may be in the U.S., but I'm gonna tame that horse stance right along with you!

FrogMan said...

hehe, sorry about that, well not really, but still ;)

Think about it, we did the sequence in the first hour and we did it again in the second hour. :)

Thanks for the support!

Mathieu said...

good workout.

I'm putting that with the squats I already do.

I should I say did... damn injury.

Glad for Andrew. Now, tell me karate's not a good thing. (hehehe)

That's my short comment for now. big rush here. :)

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Proud papa! Love the #8 compliment. I'd be glowing with pride!