Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Horse Stance progress...

I will report every once in a while about how my horse stance sessions are going and since it's been a little while since the last time I've talked about it, why not start now.

I had decided last week to do horse stance sessions for two days in a row, take Wednesday off, then do Thursday and Friday.

I reported about the Monday session in the "yep, I still hate that stance" post and did something special for Tuesday. I did a first session of 3:30 (with 45 seconds in perfect 90 degree stance) but after coming back from getting a coffee, I decided to try and go as long as I could in a perfect 90 degree stance. Well, I lasted 90 seconds.

I had decided to take Wednesday off of the stance and got back on the horse on Thursday. I tried something different on Thursday, going with only some perfect 90 degree stance. I wanted to see how long I could last and I got to 2 minutes when I fell apart and gave up. I wasn't too happy as I felt I could have done better. I tried a second session but could do only 75 seconds before giving up. I was getting frustrated with myself so I kicked myself in the butt and after only 3 mintues of rest, I went for a third session that lasted 80 seconds, so in all 4:35 of perfect 90 degree horse stance.

On Monday, I took another approach, the one of seeing how long I can stand, without setting a time limit, and without really going to the 90 degree stance, yet while keeping a very low stance. Well, I last 4 minutes but came out of it with the feeling that I could have done a bit more. That's what I find frustrating at times with the horse stance. It burns the legs as all hell when you're in it but then you walk it off and while you are still shaky, you have the feeling you could have done at least another minute or so... Oh well. I didn't go to get a coffee yesterday but still went for a 70 seconds session of perfect 90 degree stance that felt good.

Following my K.C. post in which I also talked about how I feel like I still have a lot to learn, I've decided to switch my vision. I won't try to kill myself each and every lunchtime but will try to keep on doing the stance as often as I can. So today I did only one session, a 90 degree one without a time limit, so as long as I could go, and I went for 2:15. That was a solid one.

It's a marathon not a sprint...

FM

5 comments:

Blackbeltmama said...

I'm having a vision. . . it involves an abc special with you going for the horse stance record.

Did you happen to see David Blaine the other night? If not, that won't make much sense.

John Vesia said...

If you're interested in improving your stance time, you might want to add something like squats, leg presses, or even sprinting (assuming you're not trying these things already). Also, try holding dumbells in either hand when in your stance -- you won't last too long, obviously, but it should extend your time without the weights. I don't recommend doing this more than twice a week, especially as you get better at it. Training is just a catalyst, it's during rest that body can repair and grow.

Mathieu said...

Ditto with John.

You're getting good with your own weight. adding some load will improve your stance without the load.

And rest a bit more :)

Leg muscles take 72 hours to rest completely.

abs - 24h
arms - 48h
legs - 72h

also. doing abs will help that stance too.

I hate that stance. We do another version, but I hate it anyways. I hate moving in that stance. :)

That must mean it needs a lot of work!

Cheers!

Mir said...

WOOT! Big applause from the peanut gallery!

Already you are seeing big improvements! to go from struggling for 90 minutes of just holding a stance of some sort to holding a 90 degree one without a time limit for 2:15!!!!!!

How long did that take? In about a week? Wonderful! Just wonderful!

Be patient with yourself, and continue to watch the progress.

FrogMan said...

I'm kinda late in here but I've been a bit busy in the last couple of days...

First things first...

*bows with respect toward the peanut gallery* :)

Thanks Mireille. I'd like to think it was only a week ago, but the "I hate the horse stance" rant thread on FOFC was started on April 19 and I had started doing a bit of horse stance about a week ago, so it's more like a month ago. Still, I'm also very happy with how it is going. I just did a full 2:30 of perfect 90 degree stance and really feel like I pushed myself a lot, as I had to put a knew down before going back up.

John, very, very good comments, as always I should ask. I will eventually incorporate weights in the routine but it probably won't be until Fall. I'm currently doing my horse stance on my lunch time at work so going to only 90 degree stance actually makes it tough enough that it's not taking long to be a real bother. I used to do a bit of free weights at home, in fact I had a nice 3-4 times a week routine that used to work upper and lower body in alternance every two days, so that each half was worked out once every four days or so. The basement is my training spot and right now, it's all full of plaster dust. My dad will be coming to finish it in September and then I'll have the place to train by myself :) Meanwhile, maybe I should bring two of my 5lbs disks and leave them in my drawer ;)

Mat, also very good comments. I didn't know legs were that long to recover. I'd have guessed 48 hours. I will rest more from now on, probably never doing it on back to back days. Monday-Wednesday-Friday until I get the free weights back on track, if I ever do ;)

Abs, yeah, abs. I know, I know. My abs are soooo much tighter now than they used to be only last September, but they still do need work. I'll also include some of these when the basement has a nice new flooring... :)

Yeah, always the procrastinator :D

And to blackbeltmama (aka j), I've heard of David Blaine and let me tell you, he stands absolutely no chance against me in a horse stance in his fishbowl tank. :)

FM