Monday, May 01, 2006

yep, I still hate that stance

I didn't do my daily horse stance session on Friday, nor did I do any over the weekend, but I usually don't do any in the weekends. Boy was it rough today. Set the timer to 3:30, felt not too bad for the first two minutes then hit a wall. I really wanted to end it with a full 60 seconds of perfect 90 degree stance and well I did it but was shaking pretty badly with 10 seconds to go. These daily horse stance sessions are really turning into little battles of willpower with my own self. I held it but as the bell rang, I couldn't pull myself up! I usually get up, take hold of my desk and shake the burning in my things but today, I dropped a knee to the ground, I just couldn't go up. I eventually was able to go up but it was a rough first 2 or 3 minutes walking afterwards. Oh well, it'll come with time...

Went to get my coffee downstairs and got back to my desk. I debated for a little while about doing the second 60 seconds of only 90 degree stance and decided to put 30 seconds on. Well, when it rang, I kept going and hit "start over" on the timer and went another 30 for the full 60. Take that you horse stance! :)

FM

4 comments:

Mir said...

Gosh! I admire your determination, and will power! Tops to you!

BIG suggestion here from the peanut gallery: You are not allowing your legs to heal. Your muscles are weakening from the constant demand that you are placing them through. To build strength you have to overtax the muscle.. go the distance.. ask all that it can give, and then demand more. The next day.. let that muscle rest. Do not do more leg work.. work on your arms, torso.. back.. gluts.. instead.. strengthen yourself all over.. not just your legs. A good horse stance uses all of you.. not just your thighs, and legs.

You need to BREATH. To hold the stance, you need to center inside yourself, and use your breath as the focal point, as the energy... I promise I will post something on my blog just for you.. to explain as much as possible what I have learned.

Gosh.. I wish that I could just give you a big hug for all the effort you are placing on this. Keep struggling!

Mir said...

As promised, I have posted something on this topic on my weblog for you.

If you have any questions, or would like to pursue any of the ideas farther, feel free to do so.

FrogMan said...

Mireille, on your first comment, that's a very valid point about having to work other muscles. Main reason why I do the horse stance is because I can easily do it at work on the lunchtime. I'm almost ashamed to say it to the mom of seven kiddos, bt I lack time to workout at home. I know I should but there's always something else to do.

Breathing is my biggest thing to work on. And not only in the stance but also while doing katas as I'm sometimes being told that I look all tensed and that I don't breathe right. I'm working on it...

Thanks for the virtual hug, much appreciated :)

Steve

Shinzui Ookami said...

My big problem is the throwing (I'm in jiu-jitsu!), but I eventuallygot my black belt. Now I'm one of the youngest black belts in the history of our school (12 years)