Monday, May 01, 2006

a different kind of sparring, sorta...

Our regular instructor wasn't there tonight so we were in for some change. Sometimes being instructed by somebody different isn't all bad. He first took us through a warmup that included a nice sequence of 200 punches in the horse stance, in groups of 50, that was quite the nice start :p We then went to do all of our blocking forms. These are smallish katas that include only blocks. The 1st blocking form is usually the first form you learn in our style, followed with the 2nd and the 3rd blocking form. There are are 4th and a 5th blocking form but they are reserved for black belts and they include some strikes with the blocks. We then went to do some of our basic forms and then were left to work on our most recent kata on our own for 10 minutes. I reworked my Cat Two and was even happy that my new found fluidity with it, developped over the last week, was helpful to a fellow student who knew I had presented it at the Open and simply asked me to do it so she could watch my timing with it. She is suffering from the same thing I had trouble with only last week as she'S concentrating so much on the movements and strikes that she's doing the form so slowly. I repeated to her a couple of pointers that had been given to me and that helped me a lot figuring out what I was supposed to be doing at some key point at the start of the form. I like trying to understand what is going on when I do a kata. Sometimes I wish we'd do more bunkai.

Anyway, the real interesting part came next. Our instructor told us to go get a bo from the rack. I thought we'd work on the first traditional bo kata that we have to learn, called "sushi no kon sho", but nope, he told us we'd learn a couple of blocking forms. That was quite cool with me, since we don't often practice with the bo in our regular classes. All the bo I've learned is during the competition class I usually take once a week, but it's of the open (or creative) type and I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't always have the real feel of self defense. Sometimes it's got more flash than purpose (although I also like it that way ;) ). Anyway, we did the forms, something like 8 blocks (up, down, left, right, to a 45 degree up strike from left, same from right, 45 degree from left but to the knee, same to the right). Then came the shocker, to me at least. Our instructor told us to go two by two and try it. WOAH! We started slow and picked up a tiny bit of speed as we went, but not much. Still, hearing the wood of the bos smack in the dojo had a very powerful effect on me, I LOVED IT! Seriously, it was great. We then went on to work on a couple of self defense techniques, again using the bo. And again, it was just great. Sparring might be a strong word for what we did, but still, we were not simply using the bo in a form, striking a virtual opponent, we were swinging the thing against a real fleshed out human.

I don't know what it'll take for me to have more of a chance to practice this type of thing, but you can be sure that I'll start researching it more and more and I'll keep my eyes and ears well open in case a class of that type opens up at one point...

FM

5 comments:

Mathieu said...

"Sometimes I wish we'd do more bunkai."

Damn... me too.

It's probably the only way to understand what's going on. If you don't do it, you have to imagine what's going on. And while learning, it's easy to focus on repeating the same technique you see without realizing what's going on.

Application's the key!

What is your horse stance called? Kiba-dachi?
or
Shiko-dachi?
or
Another-dachi?

:)

After class tonight, I'll post a bit on Kenpo Karate and it's origins. I've dug up some facts. Not much but still a beginning for me.

That is if I still can stand up. I got a feeling tonight's class will be hard! Really hard. Since we had a clinic with canada's technical director last weekend... Classes following those clinics tend to be very hard on the body.

Ichi-gan, ni-soku, san-tan, chi-riki. And shime shibori.

Whew! I'm already hurting!

Good day!

Mir said...

Yes.. there is quite a satisfying feeling when you feel that sharp "snap - humm"... of the Bo staff as you move it to block. The only down side for me is that my Water Bo receives nicks, and dents from the practice. Ah well.. that's part of the bargain.

Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

I admit, that I too really love the sound of weapons smacking each other. It takes my mind back to those old kung fu movies I grew up on. You know, all the students practicing with the milky eyed master walking amongst them correcting their forms and such. The sound also helps to clear my mind and lets me focus better on what I'm doing. And yes, I too still hate the horse stance ;) Anyway, I had to link you on my martial arts blog! Thanks for such a great blog. OSU!

FrogMan said...

to Mat:
yeah, bunkai is great, or at least not only imitating someone but being explained why we do the moves within a kata. I also like to explain them to my son. At only 9, he and most others his age, could have a tendency to simply do as told without even understanding why. It's easier to have him remember that he should be facing this or that way if you have him undertsand that you're trying to block a kick or a strike coming for the side.

From this site:
http://www.gkrkarate.org/pages/techniqu/Stances/stancesf.html

I'd say our horse stance is definitely kiba-dachi. We don't do the shiko-dachi.

I'm looking forward to your kenpo bits, should be interesting. And I know too well about some classes being tougher than some, believe me ;)

To Mireille:
I'd never do that wood to wood strikes with my competition bo, heck no. It's super light, but I would really hate to nick it. I will post a picture of it someday. We used the bos available at the dojo, some heavier ones on which about no nicks could happen ;)

To oniyagi:
Thanks for the link back, read some of your blog and will add a link to yours too (as well as Mireille's shotokan mountain). Yeah, simply holding the bo in my hands clears my mind. I like going to the dojo when my son has a class and I simply find a spot in the corner and I work on strikes, spins, throws even. But to really smack the bos together yesterday really made it complete for me, was simply great. I'll be following you on your blog.

FM

Mathieu said...

Kiba-Dachi.

Noted.

Practically the same thing as Shiko-Dachi. It's just that styles with Shiko-Dachi come from another part of Okinawa, I believe. I still can't differentiate Shuri-te and Naha-te and Tomari-Te.

More research to do. :)

Cheers!