Sunday, May 07, 2006

Karate Thoughts Blog: In A Crowded Elevator

As I was reading the post called "In A Crowded Elevator" on the fine blog that is Mr Charles C. Goodin's Karate Thoughts, I was reminded of how I could use what I've learned so far in Kenpo.

Strikes, counterstrikes, blocks, parries. "A block is a strike and a strike is a block" as Professor Cerio used to say. Always trying to set up a strike following one strike. Then I came upon this little video clip that shows Professor Cerio demonstrating what is being thaught to us as the Kenpo Hands.

Our instructors show us this stuff, this is what we learn, but still, it's very nice to see it from the professor of all our professors. Professor Cerio Passed away in 1998.

FM
PS: I highly recommend people to read the Karate Thoughts blog. Thanks to Mat for pointing it out to me (and well to others) on a comment on another blog.

4 comments:

Mir said...

Fascinating video clip! Thanks for sharing that.

It's amazing how the more things are different the more they are the same. The more I learn about martial arts the more I can see similar patterns within the different styles despite of our unique perspectives, and goals.

Mathieu said...

Nice video.

And I agree with Mireille. It all comes down to the same thing in the end. I already see aikido applications in karate katas. Takedowns, joint locks. It's very nice to see those things. :)

And the more you learn about an art, the more you learn about others. Without knowing it. Of course, being a black belt in a style or form doesn't mean you've got a black belt in another thing. But, lots of things come together in the end.

In an elevator.

Funny, I actually do the same thing. Wonder what I'd use or how I'd defend myself in a situation. Is that compulsive? :) Sensei Funakoshi was said to always be on his guards. Even when turning corners.

Good day, Steve.

John Vesia said...

The block-as-a-strike thing Mr. Cerio was demonstrating reminds me of what Donn Draeger refers to as kobo ichi -- offense and defense are one and the same. If you've ever taken a punch (block/strike) to the biceps, you'll know how effective this is.

FrogMan said...

thanks you all for your comments...

Mireille and Mat, yeah, the more I learn, the more I see the resemblances. And seriously, even though I've been practicing for three years now, I feel like I'm just beginning to learn about martial arts in a broader sense. There a definitely similar patterns within the different styles.

Mat, as for you being compulsive because of the way you think, I don't think so, or else, I'm comulsive too. I call it visualization, as I often think about how I would react if I were attacked in one way or another, including when I turn the corner here at work ;)

John, I've never take a block/strike to the biceps, but I can tell you about the numerous bruises I usually have on my forearms after a session of self-defense work. I can easily believe that an outward block with the wrist/fist meant as a strike to an attacker's forearm could break said attacker's forearm, no doubt in my mind. That could end an attack quite quickly...

FM