Saturday, May 13, 2006

Saturday morning class

I'm sure many of you have gone to a karate class at least once thinking you would like to work on this or that particular thing on that day. Well this is what happened to me today. After working on my three pinan katas on Wednesday, and spending some time practicing self defense with the same girl I attacked in this post, I felt like working on them again today and my wish was granted: we did mostly kata work today.

It felt nice to do the three pinans and having pointers be given by our instructor on what to watch for as usual mistakes that people do. Some of them I sorta knew I wasn't guitly of, but some others, after reflecting on it, I was doing without even thinking about.

We then kept on going with Circle of the Tiger, then The Statue of the Crane and finally Cat 1 and Cat 2 that I did an extra time as our instructor had our higher belts do Cat 3 with instructions to people who don't have it, of whom I am, to keep on doing their latest kata.

Again, I was sweating like a pig today, which is nice, in a weird way :) It was our usual Saturday morning class, with popcorn and all as the warmup items. One nice thing I realize today though, as we went through a couple of drills of squats, some of them out of the horse stance position no less, is that my legs must have gotten stronger because I had no problem with his squat drills. He likes to have us jump in place and on his count, we jump forward, do a squat and jump back to jump in place on our tiptoes. He counts to 25 like that. Then we took the horse stance position, with him asking us to go "pretty low" only to ask us to go to perfect 90 degree stance on his count. He counted up to 12 and backward to zero from there and I was still doing them without quivering. That's gotta mean something. :)

We finished class working on self-defense techniques and I worked with a fellow brown belt lady on our last 12 requird techniques. I added a couple today and I now know 9 of the last 12.

FM

2 comments:

Mir said...

There you go! You are succeeding in bringing in strength to your horse stance. What a fast improvement. Keep at it! Persistance is the key.

Mathieu said...

Ditto!