Sunday, May 28, 2006

good soreness

Well, I survived that first two hour class yesterday. GO ME!!! :)

I never thought I wouldn't be able to go through it, I mean, I've had belt tests before and they usually are tougher than two one hour class, but still, I had apprehensions. First, these classes were with THE Saturday morning instructor, the most intense of the two I have class with, but it was good, felt good to sweat it out. I did 13 popcorn jumps in the first hour and another 13 in the second hour. We had our usual good workout to start both hours, including lunges and squats aplenty, so much so that my buttocks and thighs are killing me today. Still, that was a good workout and even though I posted recently that I've been feeling in a slump lately, I had fun at the class.

The first hour included some work on kenpo combinations followed with work on the most advanced of my self-defense techniques. I was able to start work on my 3 missing techniques out of the last 12 and finish that work in the second hour.

That second hour was again mostly self-defense work. As I just said, I was able to learn and practice the last three brown belt self defense techniques and it felt good. I finished that hour with some kata work which was some more productive work. I was able to help and be helped by a fellow student. First, we worked out the ending of Cat 2 with her so she could get the steps right in her head and she was able to point out something in my start of the kata by simply asking me a question about one stance I was taking. It made me realize that I was doing it wrong! It's alwasy nice when you realize that you can improve something you are doing and it doesn't always have to be a big thing to do for it to make a difference...

As I said, I feel sore today, but it's a good soreness. Not only did I get a good two hour workout, but when I got back home, I mowed the lawn as if I'd been resting all morning. I was kind of worried I would have problems with my concentration in the second hour, but no, it went quite well. I felt that it was in fact, almost as good a workout for my brain as it was for my body. I had to force it to think while being more tired than usual, and I think that is a positive.


FM

3 comments:

Mir said...

WELL DONE! Positively positive. I'm glad to hear that things are clicking for you. Keep up the good work.

Mathieu said...

Agreed with Mireille.

And do keep it up. :)

How's your calf?

FrogMan said...

"WELL DONE! Positively positive."

Mireille, well, I'm not so sure that's what my thighs and buttocks are saying today. :D It's a good hurting though. As John Cougar Mellencamp used to sing: "Hurst so good!" ;)

Mat, the calf is surprisingly fine, I mean, we worked a lot on squats and lunges as I said in my posts and as I justcommented, my thighs and buttocks are killing me everytime I get up from my chair, but otherwise, the calf wasn't as stiff when I woke up this morning as I'd felt it in the last couple of weeks. Thanks for caring. :)

FM