Monday, May 29, 2006

Martial Views: on making mistakes

Making mistakes, in the broad scheme of things, are good as long as we learn from them, i.e. don't repeat them.

I could have simply commented on John's blog about this entry in his post titled "Experience Is The Best Teacher" but I decided to single it out here because it's one of the most basic things I apply to everything in my daily life.

Be it at work, in karate, in any sport I practice, in my dealings with my sons even, as long as one learns from a mistake, i.e. doesn't repeat it, it's fine by me. I know Matty is too young to understand, but I repeat it endlessly to Andrew, especially after one of his soccer games where I saw him being passed by an opposing forward. I explain to him why the other guy was able to beat him on the dribble and what he could do to prevent it, driving the point that making the mistake wasn't the worst that could happen, but that he should learn from it. I never demand perfection from him, poor kid, just that he does his best every time he steps on the field, or the mat if we're talking about karate, and that if makes a mistake, or if something wrong is brought to is attention, as in a kata when sometimes we don't realize we're doing something wrong, well that he works on correcting it.

I know I'm a very demanding person and I try to be better in my dealings with others, especially with my sons, but if there's one thing I have a hard time accepting, it's somebody making the same mistake(s) over and over. Sometimes it's a training partner lacking control with his/her (although it's more often a him than a her ;)) strikes, but other times it's a coworker lacking rigor in his/her work...

Finally at other times, it's one kid getting on his brother's nerves after you've told him numerous times to stop... Boys will be boys...

FM

7 comments:

Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

Keep up the great, thought provoking posts man. Make all the mistakes DURING training that you want to, that is how we learn to correct ourselves. A sensei or teacher can tell you "That is wrong, it is done like this.." but in the end, it is up to YOU to correct it. Making mistakes outside of training can sometimes be the difference between life or death.
OSU!

John Vesia said...

Thanks for the link, Steve. Like Curtis reminds us, mistakes are not a luxury we can afford on the street. Actually, it was your summation that made me laugh; my two younger sons are always in each other's face...brothers will be brothers!

FrogMan said...

thanks for your comments Curtis and John.

While I agree that on the streets, stuck in a fight, we cannot afford to make mistakes, I also meant that I use this premise in my everyday life, where mistakes are bound to happen. Especially with kids, that's when I tell them that making a mistake isn't that bad, as long as you don't repeat it. I swear, I think I say that to Andrew at least three or fours times a week...

And yeah John, brothers will be brothers. Andrew's 9 now and Matty has enterd the terrible twos and he's much more vocal when his brother ticks him off. Sometimes Andrew does it repeatedly even though Matty has made it clear he wanted him to stop, and then he continues to do it even though I've stepped in between the two. I'm sure you know what I mean :)

Oh well, they do love each other though, and I love them like it's not possible to put into words so I guess all is well in the world :)

Steve.

Thanks again for stopping by.

Mathieu said...

I come from a family of 6. 4 boys, 2 girls.

Imagine how many fights I got into at an early age? I quickly realized the value of natural weapons. A skull is much thougher than it looks. An groin kicks? They work. Armlocks? they work.

I was the baby of the family and believe me, by the time I was 12, noone at school could take me. :) Brothers will be brothers. And boys will be boys. It's human nature. Fortunately and unfortunately.

Be demanding. It's good for people. I happen to think that the average joe doesn't do enough push-ups (read efforts) in his life. Hard work is something we're losing...

Cheers to mistakes, if we're smart enough, we can learn from them.

Have a good day!

FrogMan said...

Mat, you are apparently from one of the last big family in Quebec ;)

I only have a sister and my wife is an only child so this boy vs boy is new to us, but it's not that bad. Days are long and sometimes I make it seem worst than it really is...

I agree with you that people seem to push themselves to their limit less and less. Sometimes I wonder why but I'm not too philosophical about it. Minding my own business is already enough for me ;)

Take care, Steve.

Mir said...

What I like to say to myself is "Don't let the mistakes rule you!"

There are lots of times where I've noticed that it is difficult to correct the mistake. Even though Sensei points it out, and I know what I want to do, and I attempt to do it.. the mistake continues to appear. That's when I tell myself that phrase.. and I bring my movements right back to the beginning, and slow everything down to a crawl to teach myself to get past the mistake.

FrogMan said...

I agree with you Mireille, sometimes when stuck in a "mistaky" part of something, going back to basics and slow down things is the only way to go...

FM