Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A private review

I've talked about how I like my Monday evening class because it's the perfect size (about 9 to 12 student per class) with the prefect kind of students, i.e. mostly sutdent that are exactly my rank or a bit above. Well yesterday evening was even better than usual. Maybe due to the upcoming holiday season and also the fact that some student of our school might have gone South for a week (a trip to Disney World had been organized by the school's owners and people could buy tickets to go, sadly I couldn't afford four tickets), we were only three students in class yesterday. Yep, only three students, me, another brown belt who got his 3rd kyu with me a year ago, and a recent black belt graduate. This meant we had the instructor in a very private kind of class.

He took us through some kata work first. We did some work with some kata we don't often do, liek the Statue of the Crane. I was happy with how they all came out.

After kata work, we got to work on self defense techniques, nothing new, only reviewing what we already knew. Again, I thought my techniques came out okay with no major glitches. Yeah, a couple tiny missteps happened here or there, but otherwise, I knew them all and they were coming out fairly quick and efficiently.

We finished the class with some self defense against club attacks. One after the other, one student was put in between the other two who attacked him one after the other. Again, I thought it went fairly well. Had they told me the test was this coming saturday, I think I could have been ready, so I guess that with a couple weeks of headsup in January, I should be able to get to the test with confidence in what I can do.

I've talked about how inconvenient the closing of the Wednesday night special will be, but I just found a silver lining. By me having to drive Andrew to his Wednesday night class, this used to keep me from attending the other advanced adult class that is taking place at the dojo. Now, with moving Andrew's midweek class to Tuesday, albeit at the dojo, this leaves my Wednesday night free to take a real class instead of simply training on my own. Even better for this week, my curiosity was piqued when I learned that the person who would be giving class is the same instructor who's given us some traditional bo sparring class in the past and that this is probably the kind of class he might give this coming Wednesday. Hmmmm, maybe I'll try to squeeze in this one extra hour of class this week...

FM

1 comment:

Jill said...

During the summer, we didn't have real class, it was just in one of the student's garage!! And we were just like 4 students and the instructor. I really like it, cuz we could have very personalise tips on our style!!
So I really agree on you enjoying so much your Monday class!!!