Thursday, December 21, 2006

kali on a knuckle = ouch

I was able to attend yesterday's class and as advertised by the instructor, we worked on some kali routines. I'm starting to like that weapon. Even though it's basically a wood stick, strikes are flowing a bit as if you're holding a sword, or at least a long bladed kind of weapon.

We did some basic strikes and blocks at first and finished the class with a drill of five moves that can start over as soon as the last strike is by simply reverting the roles, i.e. the attacker becomes the attackee. With somebody swinging a stick to your head, things can get a bit confusing so we were keeping it on the slow motion side but even then, I got wacked on my first knuckle of my right hand at one point. It's all blue/redish right now, and even though it is far from broken, it is very tender to the touch but I'll have plenty of time to let it rest.

That was my last class of 2006 since the dojo will be closing on Friday and will only reopen on January 6. As I said before, I kind of welcome the break as it will give me a chance to change my mind a bit, get out of the routine. Not that I don't like taking class, but when you're always running, either to be on time for my classes or for Andrew's classes, it'll be nice to not have to worry about anything for a couple of weeks. And that's not counting the fact that I also get off work on Friday at 4:15 and will not come back until January 8. Talk about having time to pull the plug on everything and really not worry about anything but rest... :)

I'll certainly post something in the break, if only to share some more video from the DVD of that Christmas show...

FM

3 comments:

Brittney said...

I love working with kali (escrima/bahng mahng ee)! It is just like working sword techniques, without the risk of cutting someone. Its the first weapon we learned, as it was introduced to us right before we tested for yellow belt. From the sounds of it your one through five drill is one of the ones we do. It starts out with the attacker striking straight down at the top of the head, and the attacker on move five is striking to the neck? That drill can get confusing at times, but I love it. Getting smacked on the fingers hurts. Hope it gets better quick. Ice it, and try not to type to much :-)

Have a great holiday!

Brittney

FrogMan said...

kali is quite new to me personally but also to most adults in our school, since they have started teaching them only recently. It was only the second time I'd practiced with them and I see that much work remains to be done. Hopefully, we'll keep on working with them because I really liked it in that class.

The drill might be similar yeah. It actually did start with a downward strike, the second one was a 45 degree strike to the neck, both blocked by the second person. The attacker's third strike is an angled strikes toward the ribs which is blocked with a sort of tap down followed by a thrust to the side of the attacker by the attackee, the only time the attackee kind of counterattacks so to speak. That thrust is blocked by a sort of sweep by the attacker (again, the only block made by the attacker) who finishes the drill with a strike to the neck. I hope it was clear enough so somebody can imagine it :)

Take care, Steve

frotoe said...

I'm dying to learn this weapon. Now, do you learn using 1 or 2 sticks?