Thursday, December 07, 2006

Practice makes perfect, or as close to as possible

I didn't work super hard last night, simply went through routine moves within my bo kata, trying to build the muscle memory that will avoid in the future the kind of mishap that happened last Sunday. If you watch closely, you can see my bo hitting my knee right smack on the kneecap. It didn't hurt or anything, but it was enough to make the bo fly from my hands. That move is fairly routine, a simply figure 8 that starts down to the right to a half turn stop to the left, pull back and thrust forward (with a kiai). Except I started my figure 8 too close to my right knee and never got past that part. Reps of doing that move over and over will help for the future, so that was mostly what I did with my bo, and throws, lots of throws, getting used to the shininess of it under the lightning of a gymnasium, since that's the kind of lightning that we'll be under on Sunday.

I also spent quite a bit of time working on Cat 3. It's not perfect, but I think it's very much presentable so I'm plowing ahead head first with that one.

As weird as this may sound, the best part of the night came after my hour of practice, when Andrew stayed in the room for a private class while I left and went to read just outside. I did watch, but I could hear him, or at least his kiai. Woah, Stephane really knows how to prime somebody to perform a competition kata, bo or open hand. I can't wait to see him perform Sunday...

FM

1 comment:

Mathieu said...

Good luck to you both!