Saturday, December 02, 2006

last bo class, or is it?

This morning was the big Christmas day where I work. Kids were kings for one day. They all got to sit on Santa's lap and each one of them received a present. While it was going on for the whole day, we decided that we would go this morning and miss our traditional class, which is one we can make up for during any other week, while we would go to the afternoon bo class, since that one we could not make up for a missed class later one. It was the last class of the 12 week session.

I didn't want us to stop having class until mid January so I arranged a little something. I will pay for private classes for both Andrew and I every Saturday until the new bo session will start again in January. I'm actually looking forward to these classes even more, even though it'll be a bit more pricey. A bit more pricey, but to have one teacher all alone for me and my son will be great. We should learn a lot and we won't lose as much of our rythm as what we lost last January when we took the long break...

Back to today's class, I was looking forward to that class because I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my new bo in hand. Once again there was a belt test going on in the room right next to ours, so space was kind of restricted. Add to that the fact that our instructor usually dedicate the last class of a session to agility drills and fun and game. After working on some strike drills, he told us he would give us 5 minutes to come up with a trick shot to show to everyone and we'd see if other people could do our trick shot.

I don't have a big imagination for trick shot. Show me something and I'll try repeating it, but I have a hard time coming up with something new. Anyway, it was kind of cool, even though it meant we were not gonna work on our kata during the class. For pretty much all the other kids, it wasn't a big deal, since they are not doing the show tomorrow, or if they are, it's as part of a group. But for us, we needed to get some reps in. We stayed half an hour late and I got to work on my kata by myself, then watch Andrew work on his kata too. I guess we're as ready as we can be given the time constraints.

Wish us luck. :)

FM

2 comments:

CV said...

I have tried bo a few times. Our Karate Sensei has been taking some lessons, and he teaches us sometimes. I wish I had more time, I like the bo and sai and other weapons of that style.
Chadie
http://sodergren.com/dojo

FrogMan said...

thanks for your comment Chadie. I love my bo, as can probably be seen from the many posts I do about it. :)

The sai seems like a nice weapon too though. Probably one I'd like trying someday. We'll see...

Take care, Steve.