Thursday, October 05, 2006

Feeling in synch

Nope, I'm not talking about the boys band but more about feeling in synch with your kata. There are some days where nothing seems to work. You take a wrong step here, feel like you lacked "juice" in your punch at another place. Yesterday evening was just the opposite. The bo felt good in my hands. I did my kata from start to finish only once, but I worked on many sequences and they indeed felt better with every repetition.

But not only with the bo did I feel in synch, but with my traditional forms as well. While the kids started with their warmup and went through punches and kicks work, I did some bo work. Once they broke out to work on separate things and Andrew was sent to work on his Statue of the Crane kata, I watched him do it once. He knows it and seems able to do it without much hesitation although he lacks intent in it. What I mean is that some of his punches and/or blocks seem a bit lifeless. It was not like that with his previous kata, Circle of the Tiger, but he had been performing it for a long time, so I can only assume he'll get better with time, as he grows with the kata. To kind of help him, I told him about his punches and blocks and to give him an example, I performed the kata for him. It had been a while since I last practiced the Crane but darn it, I fell right at home with it. I really felt good doing it, felt I had a lot of purpose. Hopefully this will help him see what needs to be done to make the kata "believable".

This feeling of being in synch continued for the rest of practice, and was especially good when practicing the kata I will present at the upcoming competition, Cat 2. I have a few little things I need to work on, and I know it is not perfect, but I felt good while doing it...

This was our first Wednesday night where both classes were condensed into the 6pm class. Andrew's instructor gave a special notice to the class though. Even though it makes for a better class to have 12 kids at once in the big gymnasium, they still have to account for the second hour, i.e. pay somebody from the school to be there, pay rent for that hour, etc. He said that that second hour would be available to anybody who would like to receive some private class. I've paid for private bo class for Andrew in the past, but we've never done it in traditional class. In his notice to the kids, which I was the only adult listening to since I was at the back of the gymnasium, he mentionned that that kind of class can be good for anybody wanting to get ready for either a competition (ding ding) or a test. I had already talked with his instructor in the past, about the possibilty of taking some private half hour classes. I felt the timing would be about perfect for a half hour next Wednesday, about four days before the competition. I asked Andrew when I talked to him about his kata and he said he wanted to do it, so next week we'll do 90 minutes with him going private for the last 30 minutes.

I'm sure this will be very good for Andrew. His instructor is very good with kids, and especially with kids doing competitions. Incidentally, he will be going to Spain for the WKA for the World Amateur Championship, with a student of his, a 12yo black belt named Emilie Paquet who they say has a shot at winning as many as 4 world titles. She lives in the same town as us and I train with her dad, a newly graduated brown belt, like me. I saw her a few times and she is simply amazing, a great competitor. She will compete in creative form, creative weapon (bo), traditional weapon (bo), and traditional form (hardstyle). As I said, she is 12 and she will compete in the under-13 category, meaning this year is her best shot before a few years, as 13 year olds are usually having a hard time competing in the 13-17 class... The championships will be happening from November 6, to November 11 so... GO EMILIE!!! :)

FM

9 comments:

Mathieu said...

Yeah! GO EMILIE!!!

My Sensei had a neat trick with a kid that had about the same problem. I tried it and it worked too.

He made the kid vizualize the kata once. only movement. Then, Vizualize the kata and bunkai. Then, do it. I dunno, maybe it'll work with Andrew?

GO FROGMAN! Those guys better watch out on the 15th. Hopefully, I'll be able to be at ringside watching those forms. Will there be anyone filming you guys?

cheers!

FrogMan said...

It's usually how I try to do it with him, try to show him the vizualisation of it all. I think he knows the moves now, simply needs to put more life into the kata. He went through a phase like that with the Circle of the Tiger kata too, until he really started performing a strong bo kata, which kind of pumped him for his traditional form. I'm not sure he has found back his synch with the bo and that may also be part of why he's not as into his traditional kata as he could be. Still one big week until the competition. For him, that means classes tonight, tomorrow, next Wednesday/Friday/Saturday, so five big hours of traditional classes, in addition to two hours of bo and an half hour of private class, him all alone with one instructor. I'm pretty certain he'll be fired up when the 15th will come :)

For the 15th, I'm really looking forward to it. Watched some ISKA show on RDS yesterday. It was really dated (I mean come on, it was the US Open 2005 for crying out loud, not even able to show the ) and the commentary (from Jean-Paul Chartrand Sr) was so stupid, but they showed bo forms from Casey Marks Nash and Lauren Kearney and that got me fired up. Damn these ladies are amazing. Casey Marks Nash came to our school the day after the Quebec Open last year to give private classes to whoever was willing to pay for some. My instructor took some with her and he said she is extremely fast with her bo.

As for filming, we usually have two teams of filmers with us, my wife and my dad. :) Sadly, my dad is having surgery on the 10th so my parents won't be able to make it. However, since our rings (Andrew's and mine) are very close, Patsy will probably try to cover both. She did that at our second competition last Spring and was able to film both of us, both with our bo and our traditional kata. I've actually been researching camcorders in hope of buying one probably this weekend. If I don't buy one, we'll either borrow my sister's (again) or use the digital camera...

Take care, Steve.

Mathieu said...

I forgot :

hey hey,

bye bye bye,
(bye bye)

I starting this tonight

Bye bye bye,
(bye bye)

Nsync :) haha!

Akarien said...

Hi Frogman, Mat ...

WARNING : French comment will follow. We are sorry for the caused damage.

J'apporte ma femme qui va approter une caméra aussi ;) Je partagerais mes films avec vous deux.

Je vais essayer nous filmer les trois. Question d'avoir des souvenirs des bloggers à l'oeuvre ;)

a+

FrogMan said...

très cool akarien! :)

j'ai vraiment hâte de voir ce que ça va donner :)

À la prochaine, Steve

Mir said...

I've managed to help my children to "feel" the kata, but heaven help me to explain how I did it. I think that it was a combination of my example, and to help them visualize. ( Just like Mat suggested)

I wish you all the best this weekend. Have fun!

FrogMan said...

yeah, that's just about how I go about it, try to give him examples here and there of where the attackers would be, what he should be doing, i.e. what one particular block is supposed to be blocking.

I saw him do it on Friday and it was pretty good. Just need a little more "selling" on his part and he should do well at the competition...

Take care, Steve.

MrX said...

I have been playing with the idea of taking private 1 hour classes with my Shihan. I would probably like to work on weapons since I can't attend the normal weapons class (on Tuesday nights, right after our family class).

Since you guys are making me want to start doing competition, I would need that extra time to learn forms (associated with my belt level) for competition.

Good luck this weekend guys!

FrogMan said...

mrx, you have until next April to get yourself up to speed and come to the Quebec Open. ;) I know many Sunfuki students make the trip to Quebec for that one big competition.

Take care, Steve.