Monday, October 16, 2006

Expecting too much?

I can't lie to you, I come out of yesterday's competition wanting more. Out of six competitors in the 30-39 weapons form category, I came in second place. Not bad some would say, but I was gunning for first place. I'll have some videos up soon and you will see where I stumbled in the start of the kata. It didn't start pretty and even though I recovered from it, it was always on the back of my mind and I kind of lacked focus from there on. Still, I'm happy with the plaque and will aim to work on what went wrong and on adding strike sequences to the kata for the next competition. I'll also try to keep on working on controlling my nerves.

My traditional kata, called Cat 2, I thought I had it fairly well pegged. After seeing the video, I see that I was so stiff, it wasn't even funny. Came in 5th out of 6, so kind of ugh. Anyway, there again, I come out of the competition with some knowledge of what I need to work on to advance. If only for that, it was a productive day.

Andrew had sort of a frustrating day on the whole. I saw him do his bo kata from afar (getting ready to present mine) and at first I felt he had performed it well. That was confirmed when I saw the video. He did indeed do it the best he probably could have done it although he was competing against two other very good bo artists and he came out of it 3rd out of 3. The good news for him is that this was his last competition with his very heavy bo as we bought him a very light one. It'll probably take him some time to get used to the lightness of his new bo, but I think he'll benefit greatly from it. Darn, he can spin the bo more naturally than I can, with a bo heavier than mine is, I can't wait to see him spin a lightweight one.

Then came his traditional kata. There, I was the one who learned something. Next time we will compete, we will certainly have him take a private class before the competition, but we'll do it earlier than only four days before the competition. As I was saying in a previous post, Andrew changed his competition kata from Statue of the Crane to Circle of the Tiger only last Wednesday. While he did it perfectly on Friday, that was in front of one of his instructor. He had a couple of tiny stumbles yesterday that, coupled with a few erraticly high scores given to another little girl, meant he finished out of the medals. They don't give positions for people out of 4th place, but he was probably in the middle in a group of 10 competitors.

In fighting, more "frustration" ensued. They were only three to enter the 9yo intermediate underbelt fighting category. They gave a bye straight to final to one kid while Andrew and the other one fought to start it off. It's point sparring, two points for a kick and one point for a punch, head or body doesn't matter. Andrew's opponent was a smallish but feisty kid. He got ahead on Andrew 4-2 at one point where I saw that he was keeping his guard in front of his belly to keep Andrew from scoring with a body kick. And told Andrew to go for the head which he did in two consecutive points, but the other kid go the winning point on a jumping kind of punch that only lightly grazed Andrew's head. Andrew lost it 4-5 and was given 3rd place while the winning kid fought again, lost and received 2nd place and the kid with a bye received 1st place, even though he just got lucky to get a bye. Nothing against the kid, just the circumstances... I found that Andrew had a much better fighting stance, especially cutting on one thing he used to do. He used to switch his forward and back foot all the time, often selling his next move. This time, he didn't do it and I thought that was good of him.

Not a bad day all in all, even though it could have been better.

I'll be posting videos soon.

edit: in my whining and self-cetered state, I forgot to mention that one very nice thing happened in that day. I met two very nice fellows in Mat and akarien, both bloggers and martial arts enthusiasts. It was a lot of fun talking with you. Sadly, I don't have pictures to show for it since when we got together for the picture, my wife was gone, with the camera bag, trying to fine a knife to cut Andrew's new mouthguard. In my stupid nervousness of the morning, I had forgotten his mouthguard at home, doh! :)

FM

5 comments:

Mathieu said...

I guess they don't call it the "tournoi de la rentrée" for nothing :-)

One thing I really like about competition is that you see where you stand, what you need to work on, and what are your strenghs.

I learned that I need to work a lot on sai, nervousness and making a "dramatic" impression. Plus, choosing the kata in a better fashion.

In the traditionnal one, I need to work on my shuto. It's kind of ugly!

You weren't so tense in that kata. At least you didn't seem so tense.

Argh, the ups and downs of competition. I'll re-look at that kata you did and give you impressions if you like. Not to rub it in, but rather, to help and also to ask questions! I know I'll have my sensei look at what I did. Even if I already know what's wrong with my forms...

Too bad for Andrew. It sucks when there are not enough competitors. Hope the next one goes better.

I remember my first Sensei saying that he'd hope I'd lose in competition. In order to taste defeat, learn respect towards others and give it all I've got. Which is exactly what I didn't do this time. :-) (Sorry Sensei!)

Your kempo kata look a lot like the shotokan ones, by the way. I could see heian shodan and nidan. The focus is on the same thing or so I think I noticed. It was very interesting to see.

I was very glad to see familiar faces at the competition. It humanises things when you know people. Sure, I went there partly to see you guys, but I was very glad indeed.

Take that down part of you and turn it into positive energy to work towards your next one. I'll be cheering!

What great results for Akarien! After only two months of training!

Cheers!

Mathieu

MrX said...

Congrats on the second place! My wife always tells me that I must see things in a positive way. The glass is half full not half empty. :-)

Bummer for Andrew though. Hope he took it the "half full" way...

We want vids!

P.S. Vous m'avez donner le goût de commencer à faire de la compétition les gars! Je devrais être prêt dans... un an! (aucune idée) :-)

FrogMan said...

you quite right Mat, "tournoi de la rentrée" it was, indeed! :)

First thing I know I missed in my kata was not doing kiai at some specific points. Then for stiffness, I'm not sure you'll be able to see it from the angle where you were. My wife was filming me from the left side of the judges panel and when I turn my back to the judges, then go to a cat stance at 45 degrees to my left, there's a front ball kick there followed with two punches. Man I look stiff on those two punches. Then, cat stance 45 degrees to your side, I goofed up the punches there (that you should have a prime angle for seeing, my wife didn't catch it). Anyway, it's a long learning process, we'll learn from it :)

Don't worry, I'll take it all in and will come out stronger. Reminds me of when I dropped my bo in last February. Came out of it wanting to do another competition. The same here, I wanna keep on practicing and get better... :)

MrX, I agree, second place is nice. I'm sure I will be able to build on that. As for Andrew, he kind of shrugged it, like "oh shuck". Maybe he's matured a bit. He didn't look happy he lost, but he used to come out of the ring on the brinks of tears after a loss. Not this time though. Hopefully he can learn from this and come back stronger for the next competition...

re competing: tu es toujours le bienvenue si tu veux venir competitionner au Quebec Open. J'en parlais justement à Mathieu, même si tu ne veux pas venir compétitionner, le Quebec Open est un trip simplement pour le show du samedi soir. Quatre heures d'exhibition de toutes sortes incluant combats, kata traditionels, kata extrême, kata musicaux... C'est une invitation. :)

Take care, Steve.

Akarien said...

I found your kata exceptionnal but
I cant really comment I'm just a beginner.

Like I said in my blog, It was a pleasure tu meet you and Mat.

FrogMan said...

thanks for the very nice comment akarien. If you meant my traditional kata, then you indeed suffer from the "beginner's eye syndrome" (just kidding ;) )

I remember watching some black belt candidates fellow student of mine do that very same Cat 2 kata just last May and they wowed me. There's something magical about watching people only a few belts higher than you perform either a kata or some self defense techniques. Save that video of me doing Cat 2 right now, keep training and in a couple years, when you are a brown belt yourself, you'll be able to criticize and see where I stumbled. :) Persevere and you will be there too someday.

Take care, Steve.