Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Throws

Most of the class was spent working on something I feel like I need the most to work on: throws.

I'm beginning to get a feel as to what I can do once I've blocked the first strike. I can do a sequence of counterstrikes, add in one of maybe four different locks and end it with a sweep pretty easily, but every time I work up the courage to end the sequence with the most basic hip throw, it turns out ugly.

I've found that as a beginner with throws, sometimes the throwee is almost as important as the trower. With that I mean that if somebody who's about to be "victim" of a throw decides that he will lock and push himself backward in anticipation of the throw, since he/she really knows the throw is coming, well it makes it twice as hard to effectively throw the person. I was lucky to be paired with a black belt young lady yesterday. Not only was she able to throw my whole 206 lbs big body over her hip, she especially knew how to take the fall that comes from a throw. Sure, we don't drop anybody to the floor as we hold on to them as the throw happens, but somebody who's not feeling safe with their falling pretty much always makes it tough for the thrower.

Yeah, yeah, I know, if I had to throw somebody in the street, he wouldn't let me do whatever I want and take my sweet time positionning myself, but still, I'd probably have some surprise effect to my advantage. That surprise effect is pretty much absent in the dojo and getting to work with her yesterday, I was able to build some confidence in my throws, so much so that after the class, I felt much better with them.

I even learned a good lesson from that class. Boxer shorts are not good for a karate class. That landing on the ground has tendency to squeeze some parts that are meant to only be sqeezed gently. :D

And before you ask, no, it wasn't me but the guy whom I threw over my hip that suffered. He took a long walk and was fine afterward, don't worry. :)

FM

3 comments:

Mathieu said...

"And before you ask, no, it wasn't me but the guy whom I threw over my hip that suffered."

usually the case.

:)

Steve said...

A little support makes all the difference!

As for throws, randori is a great way to learn how to set up and execute throws. If you're working in a more free flowing, sparring environment, your uke won't know what's coming and you'll develop the timing necessary.

Drills, even with an experienced uke, can only take you so far. Opening up the arsenal in randori really helps you to learn what you do well and what you need to work on.

Mir said...

Throws tend to be more tricky, I find, because one needs to find someone elses center of gravity and use it to their benefit. Since the other person is moving that center constantly, a throw needs to be done with experience as to what the other person MIGHT do..

When one is striking the other, or manipulating their joints, we know which way they are going to fall because we send them there. At least that's how I look at it.