Tuesday, November 07, 2006

this will need some (more) work...

Had class last night. As I said in yesterday's post, my instructor asked me to bring my bo so I could show my kata to the others in the class. I got to do that as the very end of the class.

I was very nervous going into it and kind of cold, meaning I had not warmed up with my bo all that much. Sure we'd gone through one hour of class, but I just picked up my bo, warmed up a bit with a few spins and throws and took my spot in front of everyone. Other thing, In order to kind of get used to a new setting, I did my kata facing backward. The thinking was that anyways, on the stage, it would be a new setting anyway, so might as well get used to some different angles right now.

It didn't go super well.

Most people commended me for being able to do it, but I knew deep down that I could have done so much better. The new sequence went fairly well, but I froze right after it, where I should have kept on going where the already existing stuff in my kata should have been. I guess I was so concentrated on the new sequence that I just blanked when I came out of it. I'll work on integrating the two together. I also missed my roll over hand/throw sequence. Again more practicing is required. Finally, I've worked so much on my spins that I think some of my fast strikes have suffered a bit. I'll have to reestablish some balance there.

Supergroup7 and Mat both have made the comment that I tend to look to the floor when doing that kata and that was pointed out to me again yesterday. Something I'll have to be aware from now on.

Coming out of class yesterday, if the show had been this coming weekend, I think I'd have been tempted to pull out. Ironically, this Sunday is the next competition for our group of schools, competition that we decided to skip in order to concentrate on the new sequence in the kata. Good move on our part I think...

The kind of cool thing was that our instructor told me I could do it in front of people every week until the show comes, so I could get used to the pressure of it. Hopefully the nervousness will go away as I do it week in, week out...

FM

4 comments:

MrX said...

Give yourself some time so the new sequences don't feel so new anymore. Your subconcious is probably rebelling against the new adaptation of your kata (he was feeling quite comfortable with the old one). The only way to counter this is repetition.

A good idea your instructor got. Doing a kata in front of an audience is like doing it a 100 times alone.

Keep it up!

Marc

Mir said...

Keep giving yourself permission to do well with this kata.. it will come in time.

Doing it in front of others is just the pressure you need to get relaxed with that kind of thing, and it looks like your Sensei might just ask you to do more demonstrations in the future.. so you might as well get used to it.

FrogMan said...

You are both right, doing it front of others might be just what I need to get used to presenting it.

Mireille, I had never thought about him wanting me to do more demonstrations, maybe you are right. Better get used to it. :)

Take care, Steve.

Mathieu said...

Mireille's wisdom once again leaves no room for words.

Have fun demonstrating :-)