Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On where I am now...

Mat just commented on a recent post, asking a question that I thought was worthy of answering in the open. There goes:


When's that 2nd kyu test coming? It's been a while for you in the 3rd kyu, no?

Do you have a minimum time before testing or is it more like: Sensei shows up nad tells you : Steve, you're up?

cheers,
Mathieu


I passed my 3rd kyu on December 22, 2005 (some dates stay in your head like that ;) ) and yeah, it's been a little while. There's a one year minimum between the 3rd and 2nd kyu tests though so I'm still at least a month from having done my time.

No clue how it'll happen to be honest. Last year at this time, we already knew the date of our test but I don't know if we'll get as much heads up for this test or if somebody (I have two instructors) will come to me with only a week's notice (or less???). Really don't have a clue, and I'm not worrying about it. I'm learning new stuff everytime I go to the dojo, perfecting some already known stuff from week to week, and having fun while doing it, isn't it the most important? :)

After 2nd kyu, they told us there's usually another 6 months period before 1st kyu, which test is also known as the black belt pretest. That 1st kyu test is usually one month before the black belt test. Last I heard, they were testing black belts in June and December as the black belt tests are held in one location for all the schools in Les Studios Unis. No clue if I will be ready for June or not. It's not a race though. I know that someday I will be ready, whenever that'll be, it'll be.

Of the four (me included) that we were at my 3rd kyu test, one has stopped, or at least is currently taking a break, but the other three are still going on strong. I usually see and practice with the other two for their two hours in the week. Since our test, a bunch of other adults have passed their 3rd kyu. I'd say at least 6 or 8 of them with maybe 3 or 4 getting close to testing. There's been some sort of a boom in adult attendance in the last two years or so. Just last Sunday, there was a yellow belt test, the very first belt test in our style, that was going on during my bo class. I counted at least 15 to 18 adults lined up, ready to receive that yellow belt. That's mighty impressive.

Anyway, back to me, I now know all my 12 advanced self-defense techniques from the perspective of a right hand attacker. Knowing them is one thing, to have them come out just from instincts is quite another. We're getting there. One top of that, I will need to master them for the left side. I pretty much know the required traditional bo kata, Sushi no kon sho, although it obviously needs a bit more practice. There's one more kata that I need to learn, Cat 3, and my Saturday morning instructor has pretty much confirmed that he is reserving it for after the 2nd kyu test, so that I can concentrate on it for the last six months. Then will come work on improvising in self-defense situations.

Still lots of work, but it's a long term journey, not a short term trip. As Mat often says, perservere... :)

That whole post was typed this afternoon, well before Andrew and I went to our joint class/practice hour. Since then, some things have changed, not so much for me but more for him. During his pre class speach, his instructor congratulated a few kids who had passed their purple belt while he was away and he also talked about others who were on the verge of being called up for a test. You guessed it, he had Andrew in mind. He kind of looked my way and asked me if Andrew had had his test card while he was away. It's a simple piece of paper that states the date/hour of the test and the level to be tested. When I told him that no, he had not, he went on say he expected to put him on an upcoming test. He will be up for a brown stripe on his green belt, or 4th kyu. That would kind of put him on course for possibly testing for his brown belt, or 3rd kyu, around middle of next Summer. That was just one of those little daddy pride moment. :)

My hour of practice went smoothly, not much new to report on that end. After watching Sébastien's pinan 1 video (provided to help readers know what the heck is that darn pinan kata that I always talk about, thanks Sébastien!), I got the urge to do it. I only did it once and that was my only non-bo action of the hour, but it felt good. Sorry, no video for you on that one. ;)

FM

4 comments:

Mathieu said...

Thanks, nice to know how it works.

I have no clue myself as to the workings of my own dojo's belts. As they seem to happen erratically.

Or maybe that's my limited vision.

And yeah, learning is the best part. :)

FrogMan said...

well, you have practiced other martial arts before, that may be why they are not doing it by the book with you, a bit like for MrX in his school (which is also teaching Nick Cerio's Kenpo) or with some other people I've seen at my school.

Having never even brushed with martial arts before stepping inside our dojo, I started from scratch. I'm then a good example of how it would work if you go "by the rules" so to speak...

Take care, Steve.

MrX said...

It seems to work the same way in our dojo.

We have a number of pre-requisites that we have to know before being called for a belt test and maybe a number of hours spent in the dojo.

Well I shouldn't not say we because it seems different for me. I only have the requisites for 6th kyu and yet I am testing for 2nd kyu this weekend. This is the main reason I wanted to start a white belt. To fit in the mole...

I think that for me, Shihan looks more at the way I do what I know and less at the quantity that I know. Or I think I know... Well, in my situation it is better to do than to think... So what do I do if they ask me for Cat3 in my test?

Marc

FrogMan said...

So what do I do if they ask me for Cat3 in my test?


thing is, if your tests are the same as ours, they're happening at your school, not at a centralized kenpo academy that would have many students coming to test from many schools. Because of that, they just won't ask you Cat 3, because they don't see you the same way as the book is. As you described it, you are not doing things the same way a normal student with as little experience in the style would. I mean, you started in kenpo what, only a few months ago, yet I'm sure you move more like the way I do, after three years, than the way a regular students of a few months would. Past martial arts experience counts for a lot...

Take care, Steve.