Saturday, February 17, 2007

Today's the day

This has been a somewhat frustrating week...

It all started on what should have been a nice almost semi-private class. There were only 5 of us in Monday's class. Furthermore, three of the five were set to test today, so our instructor decided that we'd go through our katas step by step. While some pointers helped me, at one point I almost felt depressed by how many "little" things I had to correct to make them perfect. It started to make me doubt that I was even ready to test. That stance there, that strike here, that move there, aaaaarrrrggggg! Information overload!!!!

I tagged along with Andrew on Tuesday and while there's usually not much room available on Tuesday nights, I was able to find a little corner and I practiced on my own. I was able to get my groove back, do my katas "by instinct", how I feel them and I thought they came out okay. That went a long way to put my mind at ease towards the test. I also went through my techniques, all 36 open hand ones and 15 club ones and I feel they are all coming out fine.

Then came Wednesday. I don't know how it was where you live, but here a storm started hitting us around supper time. I had planned to go take a class at 7, but I feared they could the road between the school and our house so I didn't chance it, skipping what would have been the last more intense class before the test. That bumme me out but oh well, what can I do?

Comes yesterday. My wife asked me if I was nervous. Quite honestly, not really. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? I know my stuff, know how to deliver that katas, I've tested them in competition. I only need to calm down and everything will come of itself.

I have class this morning but I will take it easy, mostly using it to review everything and make sure there are no glaring holes anywhere...

Wish me luck.

FM

PS: how cool is it that this post, on the day of a test, is my 100th post on this blog... :)

4 comments:

Brittney said...

Good Luck! I know you did just fine.

Brittney

Mathieu said...

good luck, big guy

Anonymous said...

You probably did great! I know what you mean about all the little things adding up. When I went to karate training camp last weekend, I left feeling like I hadn't done a single thing right. Can't wait to hear how it went. I will test in March.

And congrats on the 100th post. I just posted my 200th!

FrogMan said...

thanks for the nice comments. The test did go very well.

BBM, good luck on your upcoming test!

Take care, Steve.