Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Nick Cerio and his kenpo

As I said in a previous post, I didn't really pick the style of martial art that I would come to practice, my son picked it for me. Okay, okay, we picked it for our son, thus picking it for me. You got me. What I meant is that I didn't really do any research into what style would suit me and then picked one. We wanted some activity for our then 4 year old son (was two months shy of 5 when he started) and he'd brushed away hockey earlier. We thought about karate, even though I'd never practiced any martial art in my youth. We picked the school we picked because it was one of the fairly bigh one in our vicinity and they offered a free tryout class. After that class, he told us he'd had fun, which we could see by watching him anyway, and off he was to become a kenpo student.

I might not have picked the style for me per se, but I'm really happy we picked it for our son, and even more about my decision to take the plunge in April 2003 to start practicing it myself. The style is called Nick Cerio's Kenpo and is based on the work of Professor Nick Cerio. A good description of the style is given on our school's website:
The Nick Cerio's Kenpo is a style which mixes striking speed and explosive power. This Art puts the emphasis as much on the aspects of spiritual and personal development, as on the techniques of street self defence.


The part about street self defense is what keeps it real for me. Most of the techniques could be easily used in a bar brawl, or in a back alley. Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying other styles are not like that. That's not me. As you'll read me, if you come back to read me more than once, you'll see that I don't really like knocking other styles, there's no need to do that. To each his own is my motto, and for now, I'm enjoying making the Nick Cerio's Kenpo my own.

Professor Cerio passed away in 1998, many years before I even contemplated practicing his style, but I keep hearing from black belts at my dojo who met him. You can read more about him on this page
and on this page or by clicking on the thumbnails below. They represent a two page article about Professor Cerio.


I've been practicing for 3 years now and I'm still learning and probably always will be, but I'm havign fun doing it. Not only that, but I'm sharing it with my son, and that's probably the greatest thing in all this. We have a second son who just turned two. I can't wait to see if he will have any interest in practicing it too. I'm thinking that probably he will, as he tries to do a lot of what his big bro does. If so, I can't wait to practice it with my two sons...

FM

5 comments:

Mathieu said...

I hope it works for your son too :)

Read a lot on Kenpo or Kempo. It has gotten a bit of bad press with all the new Kenpo styles coming out so often. Which is too bad. It happens in all styles, I guess. But still, it's too bad. I've never seen it in person. Maybe I will one day. To each is own, as you said!

I've practiced Tae Kwon Do, Aikibudo, Shotokan karate, kyokushin kai karate and now, Chito-Ryu, which is great for me. I've seen Goju-ryu demonstrations as well as shorin-ryu. They all have their ups and downs. Although I might not repeat that in front of certain karatekas!

Yes, I will be entering the Montreal Open, on May 6th. Hopefully, I won't perform that bad. I'm not used to karate competitions. Tae Kwon do, yes, but karate, it will be my first. Not even sure my katas are accepted in the competitions.

And there's no age to compete. There are lots of benefits to the competition. Ma-ai, Zanchin, etc. Even if there are detractors to the competitions. To each his own, again! I'll be able to write about it soon. I'll have a clearer opinion, a "hands-on" opinion.

Hope your second boy likes it too. Frankly, what is there not to like in karate?

Have a good day and thanks for dropping a line!

FrogMan said...

Mat, thanks for your honesty regarding what you've read about kenpo. I can appreciate that.

As I said, and as you seem to understand, to each his own and the style of kenpo I'm learning suits me just fine for now.

Looking at the styles you've practiced, the kyokushin kai kinda reminded me of something and there it is, on this page:
http://www.studiosunis.com/en/sec_art/art_ori.asp

We have two katas who are derived from the kyokushinkai, Cat One and Cat Two. Funniest thing is that these are brown belt katas, so right the kind the level of katas that I'm dealing with now. In fact, I presented Cat One in my first two competitions, and I will present Cat Two at the Quebec Open...

As for you having never seen kenpo per se, well, we're kinda even on that, as I've never seen any Chito-Ryu either ;)

As for competing, I've grown to love it, but kumite isn't really for me. I have one weak knee, souvenir of a football injury. It handles the pressure of training and all quite well, but I'd be kinda afraid I'd get too competitive in a tournament, so because of that, I stay with my katas. My son love kumite though, and I live it through him, encouraging him...

Steve, aka FrogMan

FrogMan said...

oh, and I missed from that same page listed in my previous comment that our pinans #1, #2, and #3 are were all those of the Kyokushinkai system but were afterward modified by Professor Cerio to include kenpo movements.

I find that interesting...

FM

Mathieu said...

interesting indeed.

I forgot where Kuokushinkai is from.
I think Mas Oyama was training in shotokan and then later headed out in the mountains or something like that.

I think the Pinans are also in Wado-Ryu. But I'm not that sure. I'll have to look it up. I did that research quite a while ago. One thing's for certain, all karate styles come from Naha-te or Shuri-te or Tomari-Te, which comes from chinese arts.

Therefore, depending on which part of Okinawa your karate style is based on, lots of similarities exist between styles.

I'll have to open up the books again. Do you happen to have the Encyclopedia by Habersetzer? Incredible, the amount of information in there. All "traditional" styles are listed in there. More recent styles are not in there yet. Still, a whole lot of information in there!

Good day to you!

Anonymous said...

I was doing some NicK Cerio research and I came across this page. My shihan studied under him, long story short I am looking for a new dojo after moving and nothing compare to the Cerio system. Good luck to you man.